Thursday, 22 November 2012

Being Thankful


Today life will go on as normal. There won't be any Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on the television or American football in the afternoon. We won't have a home full of family and friends. Turkey and mashed potatoes won't be on the menu. The Scottish don't celebrate Thanksgiving--obviously. LD is working to boot.

Am I going to celebrate it? Yes. We're having our celebration on Sunday afternoon. Do I miss celebrating it with the rest of my American family? Yes. Does the holiday have the same feeling as it did when I lived in America? No. LD isn't American. Just me. I'm carrying on this tradition so that my son will know that we stop for this special day and give thanks for our many blessings. That we name them one by one and share our abundance with those in need.

I'm most thankful for these things:
  • My little family. LD and Sebastian fill be with a love I never knew existed. They are my whole life. I love them so much and I can not imagine life without them. 
  • My extended family. My parents and 4 sisters and their children. We haven't gotten to see each other in many years but they are always in my heart. I'm thankful for the internet which keeps us connected. 
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm ever so thankful for a Father in Heaven who loves me enough to send His Son to die and live for me. This life would be much harder to live without it. 
  • LD's job. We couldn't live without it. We are blessed to have a good job in this economy. LD does well looking after us. 
  • Our home. We may just have an apartment but it meets our needs. We have everything we need. We're safe and warm and I can't ask fr any more than that. 
  • My friends. I need them. They need me. They make my life full of color. I couldn't live without them. 
  • My talents. May I use them to bless others and glorify my Savior. 
  • Good books. They keep me sane and give me more experiences. 

We're inviting the missionaries from my church to eat with us on Sunday. One of the elders is American and I know he must be missing home at this time. I told him I was going to make pumpkin pie and I think he was going to cry. Pumpkin isn't a popular vegetable {or is it a berry??} here in Scotland. It is pretty hard to find. I'll be making a chicken {I don't have the oven space for a turkey!}, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, green bean casserole, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. It will be simple but good.

Let's start this Thankful season off right. Let's give a little more and love a little more. Let us open our hearts and remember where all these blessings have come from. Then let's share them.

Happy Thanksgiving from the De Bastos Family!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Seb has so much hair it looks like a toupee! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to be thankful for. You've a good list there.
    Being away from home during holidays always made me enjoy them even more. They seemed extra special. : )
    Hope you enjoyed the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving dinner. I think it is a tradition worth sharing with your son and friends. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I hope you had a blast... And Pumpkin is NOT a berry! :) It's a gourd. So it's veg.

    ReplyDelete