Wednesday, 26 December 2012

Living in Scotland:: Boxing Day

Happy Boxing Day!

The old British holiday comes from wealthy home owners boxing up their left over Christmas meal and giving it to the poor. Now it is a day for parties and eating leftovers. I like the sentiment of giving to the poor. What a wonderful holiday!

This morning we decided to take a drive in the country. We wanted to get out of the house but didn't really want to actually do anything. Know what I mean? We drove past Craignethan Castle {twas locked up tight so we couldn't even get a glimpse} and found a tree house hanging over a large creek. It is gray and wet but it was a really nice day to take a drive and relax.

We had another fabulous Christmas in Scotland. That makes 5 Christmases here with the Scots and I think we're getting the hang of it. We stayed in our pj's all day and played with Sebastian and his new toys. LD and I both made dishes from our home countries and now we have enough to eat for several days. We webcam-ed with family and watched Christmas movies. It has been a wonderful holiday!


6 comments:

  1. Loved seeing the pictures of Scotland. I loved living there. I lived up north more, Montrose, Brechin up that way.
    Glad you had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tradition of boxing day! How cool! Gorgeous photos. It's about the same here now, wet, cold and very green. I'm tempted to get into my car and go for a long country drive, but it's a workday... how awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Boxing Day is a National Holiday. It's just like another Christmas! Gotta love it. It was nice to get out for a drive. Sebastian fell asleep immediately so it was just a nice quiet drive. Bliss.

      Delete
  3. I've been curious to know where the whole "boxing day" tradition came from! Glad to know it was a holiday of giving back.
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's really interesting! i've always wanted to know what boxing day is exactly. thanks for sharing! :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post . It takes me almost half an hour to read the whole post. Definitely this one of the informative and useful post to me. Thanks for the share.Boxing Training Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete