Saturday, 12 January 2013

2013 Goals

I make goals. I can't help it. I'm a Capricorn. Comes with the territory. I always want to be changing and getting better. I'll always need work. But, I also want to make my life fun and do adventurous things. Keep on my toes. Setting goals does that for me.

It is usually the 3rd week in January when my Facebook lights up with status updates on how so-and-so has already failed at their goals so why keep going? Or, day 1 and they weren't able to go without caffeine so it is a moot point to even try further. Well...that angers me. You just got started! You're not meant to be perfect at your goals in those early first weeks. If you were then it wasn't a good goal. You didn't stretch yourself enough. Give yourself the time allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. Get better. By the end of the year I don't tell myself I have failed if I haven't completed a goal. I take a look at where I was when I began and where I am now. Have I become any closer to completing the goal? Am I any better? Did I make better choices? Making and keeping goals isn't about being perfect from the get go or doing exactly what you set out to do. It is about a journey to better yourself. One step at a time.

I was deciding whether or not to post my goals here because they are personal, but then if I can't be personal here, then where can I be? So, I'm going to share them with you and how I'm going to work on completing them.

Some of these I will focus on only for one month. In hopes that the "21 days to make a habit" thing really will work and it will become a part of my life. Others will take more of my time and effort.

+Get Pregnant

this was my goal in 2012 {as well as part of 2011}. I'm going to take more vitamins, lose some weight, and take better care of my self to help my body get pregnant. I probably won't ever have the amount of kids I always thought I would, but just one more would be nice. Oh, and have more sex.

+Write a Novel

I have started one. I'm 20,000 words in. I got stuck and I'm not sure where to go from there, but I'm going to go back in and fix what needs fixing. I want to write a book. I have an idea and I want to get it down on paper.

+Read the scriptures and Pray daily

I bought this book to help me. As a Mom sometimes I let everything else become more important to me than my relationship with Christ. I can't let that happen. I need the closeness to the Spirit to help me be a better mom, wife, friend, and person. No more messing around. I need this.

+Take more care with my appearance

Geesh. Embarrassing, but I have really let myself go. I wear yoga pants and I have no intention of doing any yoga. I never wear makeup and fixing my hair consists of pulling my bangs back into a clip to keep them out of my face. I need to start washing my face before bedtime and using anti-wrinkle cream. Not to mention actually putting some clothes on.

+Be a Better Wife

LD is a trooper. I don't even know how we've made it to our 5 yr anniversary. He is a saint to put up with me. I bought this book to help me. I'm going to do it in March. LD won't know what hit him. I need to shower him with love and the respect that he deserves.

+Read 100 Books

I got this one in the bag. I could make it a higher number, but I won't. It is all about balance. 2 books per week is a nice pace for me. Sometimes I read a book every day and take a couple weeks break. But, I keep it to 100 books per year. I love to read. You can see what I'm reading here.

+Be a Better Mom

Sebastian deserves the best Mom in the world. I want to be more fun and have more fun activities for us to do. I can't wait for summer when I can take him someplace new every day. I have a calendar that I'm filling in each week with activities/places for each day. In hopes of being right there with my son and enjoying him to the fullest. I want to be a fun Mom. I need to also take more pictures!! I want loads of pictures of my son and I always forget to take them.

+Buy a Home

I want our very own family home. Will we get it? I have no idea. But, I have dreams of something being ours. LD works so very hard and I want to do whatever I can to make it possible so we can have a home base for ourselves. I have my eye on a few properties.

+Live a Healthier Lifestyle

I need to lose some weight to get pregnant. I need to be healthier to get pregnant. I need to eat right to have energy to play with my toddler. I need to be healthy so I can take care of my family. This needs to be a priority. I can't let it go any longer. I need to get with the program!!

I have some other to-do style goals this year as well::
+Renew my passport and visa
+Get Sebastian's papers
+Go to Portugal to see the in-laws
+travel somewhere else, ANYWHERE else.
+pay off our small debt. easy peasy. Being debt free is awesome.
+find opportunities for service and actually DO them.
+journal more

I'm going to make this year a good one. Lots of changes to myself. It is time to dig deep and be better. What are some of your goals?

15 comments:

  1. I find it funny that I have 6 out of your 9 goals :) I will say that last year I adopted the taking better care with my appearance goal, and I'm continuing it this year as well, and it ended up being such a good goal. It amazed me how much better I felt, and how much more in control of my day I felt. Living with a toddler being a stay at home mom, it can be difficult, especially on those days when you know you're going to be doing laundry and other household chores all day long, and won't be going anywhere. But I made the goal that I would a) put on a bra and some real clothes, and b) that I would at least try and put on makeup everyday. Did I do it everyday? No, but having that goal I did it a lot more often than I would have if I hadn't been intentional about it. I completely agree with you about constantly growing and evolving around your goals, and giving yourself room to have the day that you schlump around in your pjs eating leftover stocking candy :)
    Good luck with your goals this year, I think with your plans on how to do them will help tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactly what i'm talking about! just making myself do something {anything} to feel more put together.

      I'm not sure if I will get these all done. They are on my list though. I'd like to get better with them. Start a path towards completing them. If not this year then soon. We'll see. They aren't really set in stone. I'll take it month by month. See what happens!

      Delete
  2. Wow you have some ambitious goals there. Good luck with them.
    One of my goals is to read 52 books. One a week and I'm already behind. Just finished the first one yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your 52 books goal! I would probably do that too, but I need to read twice that for my book blog {www.thesweetbookshelf.com}. Publishers and author's send me books to review and people want to know what is out there. So, I'm pushing myself. I read 100 last yr and the yr before.

      What book did you just finish? You're not behind!

      Delete
    2. I just finished reading When We Were Friends by Elizabeth Joy Arnold.
      I'm just about finished with number 2 which is The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley and it is set in Scotland!

      Delete
  3. You're inspiring me. So far I'm failing 1,000% on the goal we talked about doing together. I need to do it too because it will help me be a better person. And I need that. Please come visit me! We'll take our kids to the pool every day :) oh ya-awesome list of goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um....I haven't done it since I talked to you about us doing it together. I mean, what?!?! I fail. I shall start afresh this week.

      Why don't you move here? I know someone who does exactly what Luke does and makes £60,000 per yr. That is $96,000! Come here.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with all of your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list and great philosophy about perservering to meet your goals. Thanks for your book list. I've been in a rut as far as reading materials so your list is helping to inspire me to read more.

    It's amazing how much more productive I am when I put on actual clothes and fix my hair/makeup. It seems silly when I have no plans to leave the house but it totally helps me to feel more energetic on those gloomy Scottish days.

    Good luck with meeting your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really helps doesn't it? with all the wet cold weather there is really no point to get all dressed up, but I feel better when I do. Even if it is just a little bit.

      Delete
  6. Awesome list of goals lady!

    Wishing you great success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck!! Maybe you can "read" all those books by listening on your ipod, so that you can be up moving and exercising more? It's slower than reading them, but than you could kill two birds with one stone?! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love audiobooks! I always listen to one when I'm cleaning and when I'm walking around town. Kills 2 birds with one stone!

      I only read an actual book before bedtime anyway. I'm just a fast reader.

      Delete