Wednesday, 27 February 2013

5 Years Ago Today ::: Facts


Five years ago today I moved to Scotland. 
Can you believe it?! 

I never thought we'd be here that long.
It also feels like the blink of an eye.

Where has all the time gone? 
Especially these last two?!


I thought it would be fun to list some fun facts about Scotland for the occasion. What do you say?

01. The official animal of Scotland is...the Unicorn. I know. Seriously!  That's pretty magical if you ask me.

02. Scotland is the homeland of golf. LD has gone golfing twice.

03. Edinburgh was the first city in the world to have its own fire-brigade

04. Scotland has approximately 790 islands; 130 of those are inhabited. What the what?!?! That's crazy!


05. Scotland boasts some very famous inventions; the television, telephone and penicillin {my husband is allergic to the last. I wish he was allergic to the first}.

06. Scotland has the highest proportion of red-heads in the world. 13% of the population has red hair with 40% carrying the recessive gene. Love me some ginger! I always wanted red hair. Like Anne with an E.

07. Edinburgh was built just like Rome--on 7 hills.


08. The shortest scheduled flight in the world is from Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands of Scotland. The flight lasts 1 minute 14 seconds. It would take longer to get into your seat. That's wild!

09. Edinburgh has more historically listed buildings than any where else in the world!! The first time I ever went to Edinburgh I didn't know what to take a picture of first. Everywhere I turned my head was something amazing. One of my favorite cities in the world.

10. Scotland's total population is around 5.2 million. There are more people in New York City!


Here's to another five years in Scotland! 

8 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary!

    Scotland also invented the pneumatic tyre, the MRI body scanner, the incandescent light bulb, the ultrasound scanner, and the Kelvin temperature scale! I know all this because a while back I wrote an article on inventions from my neck of the woods. ;-)

    I did not know that about Edinburgh and the fire brigade though. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! That sure is a lot of important inventions!

      Delete
  2. It's absolutely gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is! After 5 years I'm still amazed!

      Delete
  3. Some interesting facts about Scotland. I didn't realize there were so many islands. How cool would it be to own one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I can't wait to see it! Thanks for sharing-I don't think I knew any of those facts. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete