Monday, 6 May 2013

"What Do You Do?"

When people ask me what I do I tell them I'm a stay-at-home Mom. Because I am. I'm teaching my little guy all about life and enjoying him as much as I can before he goes to school. I love it.

But for those I get to know a little bit better I tell them, "I review books for publishers." Because I do. 

I just kind of fell into it. I was reading like crazy and I started putting up these little mini reviews on this here blog. Then my friends and family were asking me for recommendations. All the time. I was answering emails and FB statuses about books. I felt like books were taking over this blog.
Books for everyone!

Someone asked me to put all my reviews in one place. So, I made a book blog. It used to be called Book Reviews by Mary. Totally original I know. Then about a month later it became The Sweet Bookshelf


After I'd been blogging books for awhile {a long while...} I started getting emails from publishers and author's wanting me to review their books. I've been book blogging for 4 years. I don't do it for free books but it is a nice perk. Heck, I didn't even know getting free books was a possibility when I started book blogging!

After I review them I donate the books to my local library or some teens I know.  I keep the one's I loved enough to re-read. But, I usually end up giving them to my friends. I didn't pay for them and so I want to make sure they get shared.  I donate hundred's of books to my library each year.

When I tell people, "I review books for publishers" they assume I'm paid. I'm not.That would be a dream come true! But ethics come in to play. When you want a good book to read you ask your friends {ie: me}. 
If I was paid to write a review, even if I was giving my honest opinion, you wouldn't believe me as much as you would if I just told you. I'd need to be paid by a 3rd party publication to have it not be an issue.

Why do I do it then?
Because I love to read.
I love sharing good books with people.
I'd do it even if I wasn't blogging.

What do I do? 
I'm a stay at home Mom who reviews books for publisher's!

9 comments:

  1. I think that sounds wonderful! I love to read, too. I have had the privilege of being an editor for a magazine before, so I know what it is like to get those free books for reviewing! I really miss that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty ideal to me! ;) I listen to audiobooks now WAY more than I actually read (easier to get housework done that way) but there's nothing like a real book. Cute photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. in my opinion - being a stay-at-home mom is the best, most-important job ever =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I might be asking you what to read in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post and your blog! Have read through some of your posts and they are great. Glad you like living here, although I have to agree about the weather - we really don't get enough sun lol.
    Claire Glasgow (from Glasgow)
    xoxo

    www.daisybisley.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's so awesome! How fun!! Even though you're not paid, you might consider adding some advertising on your blog. For me, it really just pays for a Starbucks treat now and then. But it's something. :)

    KK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my goals for 2013 is to start selling some ad space on my book blog!

      Delete
  7. I was a stay at home mom too and people would always ask me that.
    Even today people ask me what I do all day at home. My answer is, "All the things you wish you had time for."

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cool! I've started saying I'm a blogger because it sounds like I'm busier than a stay-at-home mom. You know? Like we sit around watching soap operas and eating bon bons in between coats of nail polish... Riiiiight.

    ReplyDelete