Monday, 30 December 2013

Taking Down the Tree

 
The Christmas season is over. It never seems to stay very long does it? I found myself a little sad on Christmas Day because...well, it's all over. The carols, movies, candy, food, all of it. The whole ambiance of the season is finished. We've hit the crowning moment. It's time to take the tree down.

I'm dreading taking our tree down today. I think I'll just take the ornaments down. I want to leave the tree and lights up just one more day. I just want one more night to stare at the twinking lights and feel their warmth and comfort and think of the New Year coming.

The winters are long here in Scotland. Mild. But long. The temps here in Aberdeen right now have been between 40-45 F. Which is totally mild and I love it. We don't really get harsh winters and for that I'm very grateful. But, the winter is long. We won't get even a hint of spring until late May. No leaves on the trees. No flowers booming. I'm in for a long wait.

I've struggled with Seasonal Affective Disorder for most of my adult life. It has been hard on me here in Scotland until last year when I just accepted the rain. I accepted that it will always be here. We needed to become friends. Can I just say that it has made all the difference. Accepting something that I can't change has changed me. I've been happier. Calmer. I see the good in the rain and the overcast days and I love them. Right now the rain is coming down hard and fast. It's going to rain for the next seven days. And I'm okay with that.

So, we're taking the tree down tomorrow. It has been a source of light for me every year since we moved to Scotland. All six of them. It's kind of sad but I'm thinking of this new year ahead of me and how I want it to be the best yet.

ps. The De Bastos Family Birthday Season kicks off in 8 days!

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to be sad taking down my tree, too, but I try to focus on the chance for reorganization that January brings -- a chance to move out all the holiday gear and shift into refreshing my space! I have a few home projects lined up for that reason . . . so I won't get depressed. Hope your winter isn't quite so long this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about Christmas and it's short lived nature. I was really bummed out on boxing Day! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Atlanta where it rains surprisingly often. So I learned to love falling asleep to the rain. And it always feels like a new beginning when the rains stops =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have yet to take our lights down as I really like having them - they seem so cosy some how.

    Glad to hear you have embraced the rain - a change in attitude can be as refreshing as a new start. Happy New Year to you.

    Molly xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. SAD lamp. Best thing I've ever purchased. Cause without it I end up morphing into Ms. Depression and it's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete