Friday, 9 May 2014

A Saturday at Castle Fraser

 
We've all been so sick for so long that when the sun came out last Saturday morning I decided we would check out one of Scotland's Gardens. They had an Open Weekend which is just the castles and estates dusting off their winter boots and finally opening the grounds for the season. I hurried and threw a picnic together (okay, it was just sandwiches) and made an executive decision on where it is was we were going. Sebastian wouldn't leave the house without some play-doh, Buzz, Woody, Donald Duck, his favourite lamb named Cat and his blanket.

Sebastian just woke up from a nap in the car.
 
I had the window cracked and the sun was shining bright on my legs and I love that warm feeling. The rapeseed fields were in full bloom and the wild gorse shrubs lined the countryside. We saw baby lambs too. These drives always produce the cutest cottages. I always point them out to Luis and tell him ,"That one is perfect. That's exactly what I want! No, wait. That one is so cute! That's what I want." I just looked out at the Scottish landscape and the only thing I could think about was how gorgeous it was. What a beautiful day to spend with my family.

The Castle itself is on the most beautiful grounds. Think of any Jane Austen novel and picture the big estate home. All the walking space around it and the walled gardens too. That is what you get here. Big mature trees and fields as far as the eye can see. Sebastian had a ball. He just ran around everywhere and wanted to see everything.

Take a look for yourself!



The Neuk, the caretaker's cottage. Heating bill is £800 per month!
Sebastian picked these flowers just for me

 


ps. I'm heading back to Castle Fraser in a couple of weeks with two of my sisters and we're going inside. Stay tuned for more about this amazing place!

9 comments:

  1. Fraser is the family name of the main character in the Outlander books, have you read those? Seeing "Castle Fraser" makes my imagination run wild!! LOVE all of those castles. So, guessing that someone just lives in the caretaker cottage, but not the actually castle? I remember at the Eileen Doune castle, there are times where it is still used by the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the first book! They are called something else over here. A friend gave it to me for Christmas but I haven't cracked it open. Those 1,000 pages are intimidating me! But everyone says they are amazing. I will have to make it a summer project.

      Yes, someone lives in the cottage. We have a friend who was going to rent it and they told us the particulars when we got back from our visit. I couldn't believe the cost of the heating bill!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! What a fun place to spend an afternoon. And I love that your "picnic" was really just sandwiches, haha . . . that's always the case for me! I have fantasies of fresh fruit and chicken salad and maybe even some wine, but -- yeah. No.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have grand plans for picnics but they usually consist of stopping at the grocery store for pre-made sandwiches and things. I DO have a lovely picnic basket though. I get to use it a few times a year.

      Delete
  3. That is SO gorgeous! I can't wait to visit castles like this when we are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have a lot to see in Edinburgh Becki! Just you wait!

      Delete
  4. I love him holding tight to all of his things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww my boys use to all carry around Woody and Buzz

    ReplyDelete