Monday 18 June 2012

8 Scottish Essentials

8 Scottish Essentials


Living in Scotland poses a change of wardrobe from my home town in the States. There are items I need to use daily here that I didn't need in West Virginia. My sister {and her fam} are coming to visit in one week. Here are some of the items I've told her she'll need for her visit. Let's discuss.

01. {Trench Coat} It is always a bit cool in Scotland. No matter what time of year you'll need a jacket/coat. Something to repel the rain and keep you warm. You'll be surprised how much you'll use it.

02. {Rain Boots} These are a must! You'll do a lot of walking and you'll hate it when your feet get soaked when you're trying to enjoy your trip. 

03. {Shoulder Bag} I use my shoulder bag every day. I walk EVERYWHERE and it keeps my hands free and my possessions close by my side at all times. I'd say a shoulder bag is a travel essential anywhere you want to go.

04. {Umbrella} You'll never know when the rain will strike! It is best to be prepared. It is always raining in Scotland. Umbrella's even come in compact sizes. Perfect!

05. {Hat} Like I said before, it is cool here. You'll need something on your head. Not to mention to keep your hair under control from the wind/rain. Beanies are used year round here!

06. {Notebook} This is very cliché but you'll want to write down thoughts or feelings during your trip.  I keep a notebook with me to write down ideas or things I need to do. Sometimes I see details for events and I don't want to forget them. When you travel, you should always have some kind of journal. 

07. {Camera} This is a given. I carry my camera everywhere. I forget to take photos, but I always have my camera. You never know when a great photo opportunity will present itself. In Scotland there is always something to take a picture of. It is so beautiful!

08. {Cash} It is a little bit archaic but many shops do not take bank cards. Only cash. Make sure you always have some spare change for odds and ends with you. You may just want that sausage roll after all!

*I want all these items above. But mostly the bag and the boots. And the umbrella. Oh, and the cash.  Yes, most definitely the cash.

14 comments:

  1. I love this post. So true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely, you got this exactly right. So excited your sister and fam are coming for a visit!!! That is awesome. Wouldn't you know...my Mom had asked me how to pack before she came over, and I told her, "well you won't need capris, just jeans and stuff like that.". Yeah, and that was the week that it was in the 70s most of the time. Sigh. Just can't win. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical to get all 4 seasons in one day. You just never know do you?! I told my sister to bring a little bit of everything. Each morning could be a surprise. Today was gorgeous and I'm hoping some of the nice weather comes back!!

      When are you free to get together? Should we do a weekend thing with our husbands and kids? We could all go see something new!

      Delete
  3. Haha! Love it! Great list to help anyone who wants to visit you in Scotland! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like great advice! I wish I could own a cool pair of rain boots. I just can't see myself pulling them off fashionably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me either. I'd need my husband's help. I really want the red Hunter boots. They are calling to me...

      Delete
  5. Good to know! Trench coats, rain boots and umbrellas are on the list for everyone in my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is probably something that you used to wear back at home too, and that's why it's not up there, but I would definitely put sunglasses on the list!

    Like you said in a comment above, you often get all the 4 seasons in one day: so many times I found I needed both brolly and sunglasses during the same outing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm moving to Scotland from the US and I just found your blog. I studied abroad there but now that I'm going to be permanent, this is so helpful! I'm definitely going to have to buy some wellies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!!! Do you suggest we buy the coat before we arrive as it is cheaper in the US or should we spend the money when we get there- as the quality is better there?

    I am moving sept 4th to Edinburgh, and so excited. Happy I found your blog.

    stacey-
    www.ukadventure.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I would wait and pick up something when you are in Edinburgh. Test out the weather and you'll quickly know what you want/need. I'd hate for you to get something in America and it just doesn't cut it or is over the top too much.

      Good luck on your move! You will love Edinburgh!

      Delete
  9. Awesome!!! Thanks! I have read all through your blog- its fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh. I'm totally embarrassed. Some of those earlier posts are...well, they should be deleted! Haha!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.