Tuesday 15 October 2013

A Perfect Saturday and Dunnottar Castle

I've been trying to write this post since Saturday night. But, I have a toddler that needs me  if I  happen to sit at the computer. Then bedtime comes and I'm just as tired as he is!

I need to tell you about our weekend. It was one of those weekends that just kind of ended up being perfect in every way. Filled with all my favourite things.

We've been exploring the city and getting to know our way around. I truly love living in the city and am so grateful we have this opportunity to be so close to the things that we need. But Friday night I knew we needed out. I grew up in West Virginia. I love me some country roads and wide open spaces. I needed a day of just that. So I told LD we'd be going to see Dunnottar Castle just a mere 15 miles from our front door. He was totally game.

It seems this is the place for new Aberdonian expats to frequent. The famous Dunnottar Castle! I was getting tired of saying, "no we've not been yet." We jumped in the car early Saturday morning and off we went!


It was a beautiful day too. The sun was shining and the blue sky was glorious. Just what we needed. Sebastian fell asleep in the car and I settled in for the drive. Luis surprised me by taking the coastal route! At first I didn't know what he was doing and started to freak out that he was going off course {that dreaded type A personality in me...} but he told me to just enjoy the drive. I couldn't. I didn't know what was happening. But again he told me to chill out and enjoy the drive. That's when the coast came into view.

Ever since I worked on cruise ships in my early 20's I have felt a peace around the ocean. There is something about the sea that makes me feel at home. It was the most gorgeous drive. I rolled down the windows and took a deep breath of that salty sea air.


There were farmhouses and little derelict cottages along the way. It was the picture of Scotland. Then we came upon the crowing jewel Dunnottar Castle!


Isn't she stunning?! She is the perfect setting for a novel. One I just read too. The cliffs themselves were magnificent but to have a castle on top made it extra special.

The history for Dunnottar is extensive. Dating back to 5000 BC for the site alone. Christianity was brought to Dunnottar in the 5th century and King Donald II even defended it from the Vikings in the 9th century. Dunnottar Castle was home to one of the most powerful families in Scotland, the Earls of Marischal. Their job was to keep the Honours of Scotland {crown jewels} safe. Dunnottar was actually under siege for eight months just to get the crown jewels! They were smuggled from the castle and were hidden in a nearby chapel for 11 years before they were recovered. Wow! What a legacy! But, in the end the 10th Earl of Marischal was convicted of treason and the Government seized the property.

Go on and take a peek!


 
 








The castle is huge. Every turn produces more and more. You think it might never end. There are several floors to explore as well as hidden nooks and crannies. It is incredible.

After we saw the castle we went into the town Stonehaven. LD has spotted a park for Sebastian to get his wiggles out. We spent the rest of the afternoon right there. Enjoying all there was to do and watching Sebastian enjoy the pirate ship and all the fun there was to be had.

I saw a path that looked interesting so I told the boys I'd be back in just a minute. When I crested the hill I realized we were right there at the beach! What could be more perfect?! I spotted a tiny ice cream shop that made handmade ice cream and just knew I needed to go get my boys. Let it be said that the only thing that Sebastian doesn't mind waiting for is ice cream. We enjoyed a walk down the beach and called it a day. We made it back home just in time for our groceries to be delivered.

It was just a really nice day. It had all my favourite things; family, fun and food!




PS stick around this week and I'll show you more of Dunnottar Castle!

19 comments:

  1. Amazing! We never made it out to dunottar, all the more reason to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am incredibly jelaous! beautiful views, and your son is sooo charming ahhaha :D you are really lucky person to have this great family and you should be happy. no more worries!. xo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky to have my little family and have these experiences. I give thanks for it every day!

      Delete
  3. We went there! It's AMAZING. Reading your blog makes me want to go back to Scotland SO BAD.

    Sidenote: Your kid is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous pics of a gorgeous place! Can't wait to see it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will Laura! It will be everything you thought and more. Sometimes these little experiences help remind me what an incredible opportunity I have.

      Delete
  5. That truly does sound like the perfect day! I love hearing about the castle and enjoying the pretty countryside thanks to your descriptions and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, which book was that you were referring to? I would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson

      The estate is on a cliff that over looks the ocean on one side and the moors on the other. I mean, it was just EXACTLY like Dunnottar Castle! I could see all he scenes in my head as we walked around exploring.

      Delete
  7. I so miss seaside drives but I have never had one that ended in a castle visit so I am doubly jealous today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, a classic outing in Aberdeenshire:) I'm glad the weather was showing off for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can now say we've been!!
      The sun shines so much more here in Aberdeen than in Glasgow! The rain is even better! I'm loving it.

      Delete
  9. The pics are so beautiful .. you're right .. it's a prime location for a romance novel.

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVED this castle too, and the kids keep asking to go back. SO dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to explore the beaches down below next time! The season pass is only £15. Such a good deal!!

      Delete
  11. What a perfect day! I love that Sebastian doesn't mind waiting for Ice Cream. Hahahaha. Smart kid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. What a great way to spend a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.