Monday 29 July 2013

1,000 Words For Rain


We've had the most awesome summer. Weeks of un-ending sun. Temperatures in the high 70s. It has been bliss. Pure bliss. I so needed a summer like this. After this past winter I just needed the sun. I needed it to warm me from the inside out. I got it. I'm feeling whole again. Happy and fulfilled.

The rain is back. But, I'm not sad about it. I am actually happy to see it. Is that weird? Last week was full of hard rain. The kind that washes everything away so you can start fresh. A new day. The kind that makes you just want to curl up on the couch and read a book.

I'm watching the rain come down and listening to it beat against the window pane. I've cracked the window just a bit to enjoy the cool breeze. I'm reading a book and working on my never ending moving to-do list. Sebastian is on the floor next to me playing with a pile of pennies and a naked Barbie doll we found at church yesterday. And I'm just enjoying the rain.

I've fought so hard this rain. I haven't wanted to let it in. I have let it make me depressed over the years. I've let it dictate how I spend my days. But this rain...it feels different. It is making me happy. Like an old friend come back to say hello. I never ever thought I'd say that.

Maybe that is what has been my problem all along. I've not let it become a part of me. I've always felt that accepting this Scottish rain would mean sadness. That it would mean I would have to be afraid of not knowing when I'd see the sun again. I thought it would make me Scottish. I'm not Scottish. I'm American. I thought accepting the rain would mean depression. That I'd be locked in a dark cave with no way out. It isn't that way anymore.

At least not today. I will miss the sun. I will always want her back. She is welcome to come to Scotland as much as she can. But, this rain belongs here. Maybe I'm beginning to belong here too.

12 comments:

  1. I think you've got it as they said in My fair lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Mary! The rain is a tricky thing sometimes, I'm glad you've become good friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm working on it, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. I could have written this post myself! I have such a love/hate relationship with the rain, and I find that cloudy days - let alone rainy ones - depress me. I stay inside, often with the windows shut, and just feel crummy all day long.

    Jac @ For Life, Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is what has been my problem all along. It is hard to get out in such depressing weather. But, we're doing it. I'm finally starting to understand the rain. I don't want it to ruin me any longer.

      Delete
  4. I love walking in the rain. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last couple of weeks have been weird, here - alternating between hot, heavy, humid days and raging thunderstorms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Georgia and our weather is pretty weird these days. It goes from overcast to sunny to storming all in a matter of hours on most days which is highly unusual for the south.

    I'm glad you're able to enjoy the rain now. I think the kind of rain that makes "you just want to curl up on the couch and read a book" sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the rain, but I also like the sun! :)

    Happy SITS Sharefest!

    Melanie
    Mommy Has Cents

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer in the '70s?! I'm envious! And I agree.. rain can be such a refreshing feeling, just not coupled with 100 degree weather and high levels of humidity :) Stopping by from the SITS Sharefest, and I'd love for you to drop by my blog and visit if you get the chance. Have a wonderful weekend!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.